Are you eligible for a Mental Health Care Plan? image

As an Accredited Mental Health Social Worker, I am registered with Medicare. This allows you to have the option to talk with your GP about considering if it is appropriate to prepare a Mental Health Care Plan and make a referral to Bayside Counselling & Family Therapy.


If you are eligible, your GP will need to conduct a Mental Health Assessment with you. This is a brief report on your medical history and the main issues for which you are seeking Focused Psychological Services . 

Under a Mental Health Care Plan, you will receive up to 10 counselling sessions a year (initially 6 sessions with the opportunity to access 4 more after a review) for which you can claim a Medicare rebate.


Your GP will initially authorise 6 counselling / therapy sessions and will review your case once these are completed. They will then decide whether to authorise a further 4 sessions. You will then receive a rebate from Medicare for each session.


For your first counselling session you will need to bring your Mental Health Care Plan.

For more information on Medicare please follow this link: